• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Gordon is almost forseeing that he's gonna get injured again this year and miss games, and wants security for it. The past backs that up. Whatever stats he has, durability isn't one of them.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
      Gordon is almost forseeing that he's gonna get injured again this year and miss games, and wants security for it. The past backs that up. Whatever stats he has, durability isn't one of them.
      Yep...Mel is having his mid-life crisis now, because he's right at the midpoint of the usual RB duration expectancy in the NFL...and the fact that he's missed about half a season total in games points to the increased probability that he could suffer a career-ending injury at any time--especially with his running style...MG3 will want a LOT of guaranteed $$$...and the Bolts don't have a lot of extra cash to throw around...

Comment

• Big Dog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Prior to this crap by MG, I really thought the Chargers were SB contenders this year and while I think we can and should use our RB depth to try to replace him, MG would have put us over the top.

I'm really angry that he is doing this, and feel like we should make him sit the whole season and come back in week 10, with his tail between his legs OR better yet he sits the whole year, then do the same next year, then franchise the jerk so that he sits out another year and goes on the market at 29

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
          Prior to this crap by MG, I really thought the Chargers were SB contenders this year and while I think we can and should use our RB depth to try to replace him, MG would have put us over the top.

I'm really angry that he is doing this, and feel like we should make him sit the whole season and come back in week 10, with his tail between his legs OR better yet he sits the whole year, then do the same next year, then franchise the jerk so that he sits out another year and goes on the market at 29
          Agree...Gordon is really being selfish here...failing to honor his contract and potentially letting his teammates down in a year when TT finally, finally looks like he has put the pieces together for a strong SB run...and then Gordie pulls this holdout crap....and by the way, u really think MG3 will be welcomed with open arms week 10? Possible, but sounds to me more like a locker room cancer...I can easily see someone like Derwin or KA tell Gordon something like, "nice of you to join us...we've been working our tails off all season, and you just kicking back by the poolside all during TC, the preseason and the first 9 weeks..." It could get ugly...
          Last edited by Topcat; 07-14-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
            SLAM DUNK!
            • Jun 2013
            • East County San Diego
            • Bolt fanatic
            • Send PM

Really disgree with most of this thread. When healthy last season Flash was on the highest level of RB play in the league. He is worth a second contract and the team wants to keep him. We haven't even gotten to anything like the team saying we are going to force him to honor his last year option and will not negotiate with him till he reports like the bull shit we had to deal with in the AJ era. I don't care if he's in training camp or not. I want them negotiating this deal and this going to the media is just negotiation. I want Flash to stay in lightning bolts. I think we are screwed with out him. We are not the patriots. Rivers has always needed a stud RB, this is not Ryan Mathews injury history
            migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Sounds like MG has already been given an offer. He or his agent felt ''disrespected'' so he doesn't want to fulfill his contractual obligation now. I think he's been give bad advice.

I don't see TT caving in this situation and I think MG and his agent have overplayed their hand going public with this. The majority sentiment amongst Charger fans is overwhelmingly negative regarding MG now.

I see TT waiting things out and letting him sit it out if that's what MG wants to do. Either MG comes to his senses before week 10 and realizes he's been given bad advice, or he is traded when given the oppurtunity, for which TT will be waiting.

There will be teams that incur injuries or other circumstances during the season that will warrant them picking up a guy like Gordon and some could likely overpay. TT can use that to his advantage if MG doesn't want to play ball by then. For the time being we roll with what we have and wait is my guess.

Put the pressure on Gordon and his agent and no precedent will be set for other players to pull this crap. I don't think he's worth more than 7-9 mil a year. If he wants a few mil extra for this final year of his contract, make it incentive based.
              Last edited by SDBORN; 07-14-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

A Chiefs writer actually looked at how important Gordon is to the Bolts' goal of supplanting KC as division champs. The conclusion is: not very.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
                  Sounds like MG has already been given an offer. He or his agent felt ''disrespected'' so he doesn't want to fulfill his contractual obligation now. I think he's been give bad advice.

I don't see TT caving in this situation and I think MG and his agent have overplayed their hand going public with this. The majority sentiment amongst Charger fans is overwhelmingly negative regarding MG now.

I see TT waiting things out and letting him sit it out if that's what MG wants to do. Either MG comes to his senses before week 10 and realizes he's been given bad advice, or he is traded when given the oppurtunity, for which TT will be waiting.

There will be teams that incur injuries or other circumstances during the season that will warrant them picking up a guy like Gordon and some could likely overpay. TT can use that to his advantage if MG doesn't want to play ball by then. For the time being we roll with what we have and wait is my guess.

Put the pressure on Gordon and his agent and no precedent will be set for other players to pull this crap. I don't think he's worth more than 7-9 mil a year. If he wants a few mil extra for this final year of his contract, make it incentive based.
                  This is one of my biggest concerns--if TT caves to Gordie, Bilbo and Golum, re-negotiating the contract of a player still under contract, and under threat of a holdout, then what's to stop Bosa, Mike Will, KA, or anyone else from doing the same? You cave one time, it opens the floodgates for every greedy agent and player to come out of the woodwork with hat in hand looking for megabucks...and in this day and age of caps, that's not gonna happen...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                    A Chiefs writer actually looked at how important Gordon is to the Bolts' goal of supplanting KC as division champs. The conclusion is: not very.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019...s-city-chiefs/
                    Interesting article. Besides Gordon not playing that game the Bolts won vs. the Chefs, there's this:

"Over the past four seasons, Gordon has 95 attempts against the Chiefs for 350 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns. Over his six games played against the Chiefs he's averaging under 60 yards per game. It comes out to a yard per carry average of around 3.7, which is well below the league standard. Gordon has never had a game against the Chiefs where he's topped 100 rushing yards. Early in 2018, Gordon exceeded 100 yards receiving against a weak Chiefs linebacker corp, but the Chargers didn't end up winning that game."

In other words, Gordon isn't as good as Gordon thinks he is...

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      And Jeremy Cox.Look at his tape and measurables.6' 235lbs. ran a 4.43 40.
                      I have been watching the few clips of him I can find, and he is starting to really peak my interest.

In general, I think too many people get excited about big backs for nothing. Sure, it's great when you get a John Riggins/Michael Turner type guy. But too often you end up with the Ron Dayne or Jermaine Fazande, a big guy who lumbers into the line but lacks the speed, acceleration of burst to take advantage of their power. When I first saw Cox, I thought he was more of a Dayne or Fazande, a big guy who comes to a halt when he tries to cut. And you do see a lot of that with him in his highlights.

There are plays when he puts his foot into the ground and gets upfield. When he does that, he has the speed and power to be very, very tough to bring down.

It will be interesting to see how he plays come preseason. If he can get to the point where he doesn't dance, and he keeps his speed through his cuts, then he could be a great back for us. He is a better receiver than a lot of college guys. He needs to prove himself vs pro pass rusher in pass protection, but every rookie needs to do that. But if we can get a 4-minute offense type of back who has a rare combination of speed and power, and especially if we can get him on the field after JJ and Ekler have worn down defenders, then it could make finishing games offensively a lot easier. A big powerful guy who can break tackles on tired defenders and then set some play action, and short dump passes can really either break the other team, or make it impossible for them to get our offense off the field.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Lets say we caved and paid him his 13M a year. And Rivers gets 35. Are there any other QB/RB combos out there making almost 50M a year?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                          Really disgree with most of this thread. When healthy last season Flash was on the highest level of RB play in the league. He is worth a second contract and the team wants to keep him. We haven't even gotten to anything like the team saying we are going to force him to honor his last year option and will not negotiate with him till he reports like the bull shit we had to deal with in the AJ era. I don't care if he's in training camp or not. I want them negotiating this deal and this going to the media is just negotiation. I want Flash to stay in lightning bolts. I think we are screwed with out him. We are not the patriots. Rivers has always needed a stud RB, this is not Ryan Mathews injury history
                          I agree, he is worth a second contact. Just not in the 13-15 mil a year range. If he will be reasonable and accept he has had one 1,000 season in four years,... Which certainly is because of being injured and accept what that contract is worth, then cool. Resign him. If he thinks he should get Gurley money, C-ya.

Comment

Working...
                          X