• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Mr. Polian always placed high value on such players as Thurman Thomas and Edgerrin James.

Such players can be the difference between winning a Super Bowls or just barely qualifying for the tournament.

It is entirely fair to compare Melvin Gordon with Thomas/James.

It is time for TT to use coupons or do something.

Done...we're on to training camp.
    Let's hope he's read the book as closely as you have.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Let's hope he's read the book as closely as you have.
      There is the chapter on Edge.

Indy had a choice, Reggie Wayne or Edgerrin James, as to which triplet to keep along with Peyton Manning.

Wayne was the keeper (see Keenan Allen.)

Edge went to AZ for the cash, and Indy won the Super Bowl.

wu is pleased at your ability to read between the lines.

wisdom of wu...
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
        2 words, micro-fracture surgery. Don't pay anyone big money long term that's had micro-fracture surgery on their knees. I would love for the Chargers to trade Gordon for another player upset with their team, Trent Williams.
        The micro-fracture surgery scares me as we don't know how long his knee will hold up - it could go south in a hurry. The Chargers obviously have intimate knowledge about it so I would guess if they were worried they'd not even attempt to resign him.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We have been right up agains the cap for years so the Spanos is cheap argument is not valid. We don't know what the team offered nor what Team Gordon asked for but it appears as if they are far apart. The reality is we don't have a lot of cap space and have more important player contracts coming up so they cannot, and should not, overpay to keep him at the expense of not being able to resign Rivers and Gordon. We are a better team when he is on the field and healthy but I'm guessing he won't get close to what he wants from the team.
          Spanos is cheap argument is not valid? What team have you been following. This isn't MLB where payrolls vary massively, what teams never get near the salary cap? Offset language for fucks sake. Rivers hold out. Gates hold out. Vincent Jackson holdout. Tony Martin and Natrone Means walk. Spent more to move to LA is what I usually hear than it would of cost to get something done in SD. Spanos ownership is tight, they don't have much money in NFL terms so it's understandable I guess. So you were a fan of the AJ smith bull shit contract negotiation strategies?
          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

Spanos is cheap argument is not valid? What team have you been following. This isn't MLB where payrolls vary massively, what teams never get near the salary cap? Offset language for fucks sake. Rivers hold out. Gates hold out. Vincent Jackson holdout. Tony Martin and Natrone Means walk. Spent more to move to LA is what I usually hear than it would of cost to get something done in SD. Spanos ownership is tight, they don't have much money in NFL terms so it's understandable I guess. So you were a fan of the AJ smith bull shit contract negotiation strategies?
            There are still 5 unsigned number one draft picks from this year holding out over, yes, offset language. Guess Spanos isn't the only "cheap" owner. Spanos is clearly at the bottom end of wealth in the owners but in the end he ends up paying just as much out as other owners do. Weddle was the highest paid safety in NFL history at the time he signed his contract. Rivers will have collected well over $200 million from the team by the time he is done. Team Spanos can be faulted for many, many things but the cheap argument is not one I agree with.

Comment

• pacstud
              Black Belt Poster
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Let's get rid of Rivers then. He's never beaten a Brady lead Pats team
              False analogy and you know it.

RB replacement ability vs QB replacement ability.

I love MG. Would love to keep him. Handcuffing ourselves with a mega deal doesn't seem wise at that position.

If we gave him a Todd Gurley type deal I would be unhappy.

Comment

• pacstud
                Black Belt Poster
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                Lots of assuming the contract demands are exorbitant and that the team is offering a fair deal. If they weren't interested in resigning him and wanted him the one last year would this be playing out differently? I guess I kind of assume the team wants him but has been low balling him because Spanos. As long as he wants to be here and the team wants to sign him to a second contract is the situation (that is the current situation if you didn't know guys)I think the hysteria of this thread is over reaction to typical negotiation tactics with a tough negotiating team or a cheap ass owner depending on how you look at it.
                I think $15 million per year for RB is a realistic proposition to fret over.

Comment

• charger1993
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Sorry gordon. But i rather have the extra money to give bosa.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    Perhaps Telesco can convince Gordon to take less per year in exchange for more guaranteed.
                    Maybe the Chargers have already offered something.

Example.
                    4years $48mil. 12m guaranteed.
                    Or
                    4years $36mil. 18m guaranteed.
                    Or
                    4years $32mil. 24m guaranteed.
                    If Gordon is totally cleared medically, I might go for 4 years, $32 mil. But I would only guarantee about $12 mil of that. I'd also insist on an "out" after two years. $48 mil? Too much...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

False analogy and you know it.

RB replacement ability vs QB replacement ability.

I love MG. Would love to keep him. Handcuffing ourselves with a mega deal doesn't seem wise at that position.

If we gave him a Todd Gurley type deal I would be unhappy.
                      The analogy was actually fine. Failure to beat a certain team out of our division should not be the criteria for getting rid of a player. Both are absurd, the Rivers analogy more absurd.

Last edited by powderblueboy; 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The analogy was actually fine. Failure to beat a certain team out of our division should not be the criteria for getting rid of a player. Both are absurd, the Rivers analogy more absurd.

But jamrock is famous for top tier spitballing.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Rivers hasn't actually lit it up in the playoffs period. Other then the 2nd half of the playoff loss to Pittsburgh in January 2009, he's been average at best. I'm not sure a healthy Gordon wouldn't be a more valuable asset come January (healthy being problematic).

Comment

Working...
                          X