• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I want Gordon and his agent to come to their GD senses.
    sure. barring that?

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

I want Gordon and his agent to come to their GD senses.
      I'm afraid gold fever has infected Gordon and his dual agents, Bilbo and Golum. They're all licking their chops thinking they're going to cash in on a "my precious" $50-$60 mil payday, and I don't think any team is dumb enough to go for it. I'll guess the Bolts offered $8 mil a year for 4 years with an out after 2 years for a total of $32 mil, AND with some injury protection language. I'll guess Gordon will find a suitor for around $9-$10 mil, but still with an out after 2 years for a total of $36-$40 mil. Then all three of them will crow with glee about how much "better" a deal they got, as MG3 plays for a loser and watches the Bolts in the SB in February...
      Last edited by Topcat; 07-15-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Hmmmm..... 0/40 when trailing teams with winning records in the 4th Q in his career. I don't like that stat at all. His late career injury rate also gives me pause.
        He's a dick too.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I woulnd't pay 10M to 20M for the privilege to "stay with a winner" (as if LAC has any guarantee at a ring at all). Rings are awesome but this is business, boys.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
            He's a dick too.
            He is a huge fan of my brothers pizza shop. Lives in Del Mar. Hes not that bad. lol

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              I woulnd't pay 10M to 20M for the privilege to "stay with a winner" (as if LAC has any guarantee at a ring at all). Rings are awesome but this is business, boys.
              You have a point there, Dmac. However, there's also the issue of compatibility. Gordon actually has a good thing going here--good, solid coach, one of the top QB's in the league, a talented, contending, playoff team; he knows our playbook, knows his role on the team. Some players after joining a new team just for the money end up regretting it. Gordon could end up with a QB like Mayfield who just publicly dissed the Browns disgruntled RB, Duke Johnson. Meanwhile, here in L.A., the Bolt Brass has remained closed-mouthed, as they should, regarding negotiations. None of MG3's Bolt teammates have made ANY public comments about his holdout. In another city, the atmosphere could be much worse.
              Last edited by Topcat; 07-15-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Mel is just trying to cash in.

From MG's perspective, it is worth a shot. If he waits till next season, I could easily see him getting only a bit more than he is getting this season. $5.6 mil is not chump change, but if you had a chance to make almost $10 mil more (per season), you would take a shot at it, which is what Mel is doing. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

If MG waits, even if he has an AMAZING season (which I think could easily happen), he might perform at a very high level and still lose out on the big contract. And if he doesn't quite play up to expectations, and/or some/all of the top 4 RB fail, he is out of luck.

The thing to remember was only 1 team pursued Bell in the offseason. He got a big-ish contracts from a GM who was desperate and without the blessing of the HC. Bell is probably going to get screwed, and whatever enthusiasm for paying RB big money is going to evaporate. I don't care about Bell, but it will impact MG too.

We need to get what we can for him now, even it is it almost nothing. He is a good player, but the market is disappearing.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

"Cue the P.R. team, we look bad." - Melvin's Agent

NFL+ is the National Football League’s exclusive streaming service. NFL+ exists within the NFL app and NFL.com ecosystem and delivers a combination of live local and primetime mobile games, NFL RedZone, NFL Network, live game audio, game replays, and on-demand content across two pricing tiers: NFL+ and NFL+ Premium.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

I wonder if we even offered him something close to what McKinnon got. 4 years 30M. 19 Guaranteed. Because even that seems like a tough fit given the players we have coming up.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      "Cue the P.R. team, we look bad." - Melvin's Agent

https://gamepass.nfl.com/video/melvi...ession-offense
                      Thats only viewable with game pass.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Mel is just trying to cash in.

From MG's perspective, it is worth a shot. If he waits till next season, I could easily see him getting only a bit more than he is getting this season. $5.6 mil is not chump change, but if you had a chance to make almost $10 mil more (per season), you would take a shot at it, which is what Mel is doing. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

If MG waits, even if he has an AMAZING season (which I think could easily happen), he might perform at a very high level and still lose out on the big contract. And if he doesn't quite play up to expectations, and/or some/all of the top 4 RB fail, he is out of luck.

The thing to remember was only 1 team pursued Bell in the offseason. He got a big-ish contracts from a GM who was desperate and without the blessing of the HC. Bell is probably going to get screwed, and whatever enthusiasm for paying RB big money is going to evaporate. I don't care about Bell, but it will impact MG too.

We need to get what we can for him now, even it is it almost nothing. He is a good player, but the market is disappearing.
                        Another comp to Gordon besides Bell is Gurley (at least, Gordon could be called a poor man's Bell or Gurley). In Gurley's case, his injury must really now have the Rams regretting extending their star RB, and for so much, and with so much $$$ guaranteed. Here's an interesting take on the whole Gurley issue from USA Today:

One year in, Todd Gurley's contract is already a disaster

When the Rams inked Todd Gurley to a long-term extension last July, NFL super agent Lee Steinberg penned a piece for Forbes analyzing the deal. The headline: Setting A New Precedent: Todd Gurley's Record NFL Contract.

Steinberg predicted that Gurley's monstrous deal -- a four-year, $60 million pact that included $45 million in guarantees -- would reinvigorate the running back market. Not even 12 months later, we can safely say that won't be the case as Gurley's mysterious knee injury has the Rams already looking for other options at the running back position. NFL Media's Ian Rapaport went as far as to say that the 24-year-old's days of "being the straight-up, every-down bell cow are probably over." Rapaport added:
                        "It's probably not going to be like that, which by the way is maybe why the Rams drafted a running back in the third round, someone they really like a lot. This is a team that is clearly ready to spread the ball around."

So maybe Gurley's deal won't set a new precedent, but it should reinforce the prevailing notion that giving a running back a big-money deal is not the smartest way for a team to spend its cap dollars.

That Gurley's prime could be coming to a premature end isn't the biggest shock -- running backs age like milk -- but even if he had remained healthy, the Rams would not be getting great value from this deal anyway. We've known for a while now that the passing game wins games, but the mounting evidence also shows that running backs have little control over the success of a team's running game. Offensive line play and play-calling that dictates how many players opposing defenses put in the run box play much larger roles, and the 2018 Rams were a prime example of that being the case.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/nfl...ontract-injury
                        Last edited by Topcat; 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

And they have Goff coming up.

Comment

Working...
                          X