• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Crusher you are grading the results and then playing armchair QB now that you know what didn't work. And you don't seem to understand Telesco is even more responsible for the end result than Lynn and his staff. You also don't seemed to get that this is the Spanos franchise and this is their product.
    Lynn plays his roll. I think he does it very well and you obviously don't. Okay. There nothing wrong with having an opinion. Many on this board agree with you. Apparently you have no issue heaping the lion share of blame on his shoulders and at same time disregarding the franchise history, the front office and the level of talent in comparison with the opponent. I have yet to see you truly do a ranking across the league of teams. Top 15 healthy players per position and show that Chargers are in the top half of league. I'm still waiting on that proof from you. All you do is claim they are more talented than the teams they are playing. The fact that with all you walls of text you have yet to show that they are indeed one of the most talented teams is probably because you cannot do it. So instead you nitpick and blame the coach.

As long as you would still be demanding Lynn gets fired for being a terrible coach even if they did make those 5 more plays like a FG, a catch, a interception, a pitch, and a pass defense. And we're 7-2.
    As long as you would still be posting the same things and calling for his firing. Then I can respect that, even if I completely disagree with you. Yet somehow I think you would have put down your pitchfork if just a few plays that were there to be made were cashed in on. And to me that is messed up.

So seriously. Post even if Lynn players made those plays, the kick, the catch, the interception, etc. And we're 7-2. I want Lynn fired because he is a terrible coach. And you could point to the numerous things you detail. And say this is why.

​​​​​​​Just keep that same energy. Keep wanting him fire for rest of season. And if he returns next year. Keep doing it regardless of record or any future success. Please if they make postseason next year and win playoff games next year with Lynn and Herbert. Make sure to let me know it is in spite of Lynn being a terrible coach. Okay.

​​​​
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      it goes both ways.... the Miami center gifted us 10 points.... how would we have been without those ??
      Yep. Good point.
      That play by Miami center should have gotten their O-line coach fired. Clearly that was coaching.
      And even if those mistakes even out.
      The two dropped interceptions by Perryman and Murray could have been difference makers.

I saw the Chargers get slightly outplayed.
      Not out coached. I thought it was a good match between the teams. I'm certainly tired of seeing them lose. But I'm not seeing quit or finger pointing. And I'm not seeing no chance to make plays that can win games. Its like that in all sports. Wide right is enough to lose a close game vs a great opponent. A throwing error keeping the inning alive in a close game. A dribble of your foot late in a tie game or a missed free throw. A slip in the grass trying to defend and then they are open for a score. I don't get upset at coaches in any sport for human error. I get upset when I don't see effort from the players, or when I don't see opportunity to make plays. Then I go after coaches and say damn it you need to bench these slackers and send a message. Or do they even know how to set up a team for play action. You have to run it, and stay committed so they buy it. There is no run threat at all, but you keep trying play action from shotgun and they aren't buying it at all. That is when I go after coaches and say can you do some more under center plays and actual run the damn ball, even if it's for 2 damn yards a pop, so you can actually get the play action open.

Anyways. I'm not giving up on Lynn until he is fired or the players give up on him.

Comment

• Disco Volante
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am not evaluating Lynn in a vacuum. I am identifying things for which Lynn is unquestionably responsible. There is no mystery here at all.

Lynn is responsible for not starting Herbert on day 1. And worse than that, absent Taylor's punctured lung incident, there is no evidence that Lynn would have started Herbert at all this season. Herbert is the future of the franchise and from day 1 was 10 times better than Taylor. There is no way that a head coach should be permitted to make mistakes of that magnitude with the player that has been chosen to be the future of the franchise.

Under Lynn, we would have continued with that piece of crap offense we showed against the Bengals and not the great offense that has emerged even in the face of Lynn's horrible game plans and in game decisions. That reality alone is more than enough for me to fire Lynn.

But if you want in game tactical errors, there is no shortage of those.

Tampa Bay--When you are at your own 6 yard line with 47 seconds left in the half and the other team cannot prevent you from kneeling on the ball to end the first half, you end the half. Instead, we decide to go into Joe Pisarcik mode. Only Anthony Lynn does that. The expected points of that starting field position are negative. Yes, the players failed to execute, but more importantly, they never should have been placed in that position.

Jacksonville--And to prove that "you can't fix stupid", after having failed to kneel from his own 6 yard line, Lynn decided to go full turtle instead of taking the free Hail Mary from his own 40 against Jacksonville at the end of the first half of that game, kneeling instead. So, you are going to run plays from the 6 yard line, but kneel at the 40 yard line. Okay....

Las Vegas--The misuse of timeouts by Lynn likely cost the team the game against Las Vegas. First, Lynn failed to call timeout to get Herbert back into the game on the critical 4th quarter potentially game tying 2 point conversion.

Then, Lynn failed to call timeout on the final possession, waiting for a booth review to happen. Naturally, an immediate timeout call would have given the booth any time it might have needed to initiate any booth review and would have kept an additional 20+ seconds on the clock.

This failure cost the team two plays on the final goal to go series. The team likely would have won the game but for Lynn's strategic mistakes. I certainly would have liked our chances with Herbert having two more chances to throw the game winning TD pass (or one more chance and a tying FG attempt had Lynn called the earlier timeout and Herbert had converted the 2 point conversion).

Good NFL head coaches simply do not make these kinds of obvious in game tactical errors.

But the real, deeply rooted disease that is Anthony Lynn manifests itself as follows:

New Orleans--With a 20-3 lead and 2:30 left in the first half, the team had the ball at its own 18 yard line. New Orleans had multiple timeouts left. Unlike the case with 47 seconds left, this is a case in which the lead could be extended and in which there is enough time remaining for the Saints to do something if they get the ball back quickly. So, the best strategy here is to try to extend the lead, but also, and at a minimum, be sure that the remaining time is used.

And here is where Lynn does not get it. The best way to burn the clock is not by blindly running the ball because that will likely lead to a punt after New Orleans expends timeouts with very little time coming off of the clock. Instead, the focus should be on getting first downs. What is the best way for the team to get first downs? Well, how was the team getting most of its yardage? Herbert had already thrown for 3 TD passes in the first half and was carving the Saints up, so the answer was obvious. The team needed to use the passing attack at least to control the ball, but also possibly to score.

But with Lynn's approach, we ran twice, got -2 yards and were put in third and long, a known passing situation, which the Saints were able to defend.

Denver--And this game is further proof that Lynn does not get it. On three possessions in a row in which we had the ball late in Denver territory, we went run heavy, and were quickly forced into third and long known passing situations. The result was an INT and two FGs instead of possibly up to 3 TDs. Lynn seems to equate running the ball with killing the clock, but that only works if the team is getting first downs by running the ball. If the team does not run effectively, but does pass effectively, then the team actually ends up burning less clock because it is killing drives instead of extending them with additional first downs. And the team is potentially losing out on points. Further, the failed early down running plays put the passing game in the worst position possible, a known passing situation, which makes the passing game less effective also.

Miami--This game is conclusive proof that Lynn does not get it. Evidently not recognizing his huge role in costing the team the New Orleans and Denver games with his turtle conservative approach, Lynn decided it would be appropriate to spend almost the entire game going run heavy on early downs, repeatedly putting the team in known passing situations and setting up Miami for its best results.

Since the game, Lynn has been utterly oblivious to the impact of his iditoic coaching. Cameron Buford even gently pointed it out to Lynn in the postgame press conference when he noted that Lynn's strategy took the ball out of the hands of the team's most explosive offensive player (Herbert), and Lynn still didn't get it. How any NFL head coach could fail to understand that is mind boggling.

Instead, Lynn has focused on how Miami is a good team that outplayed his team. Miami may be a fine team, but there is absolutely no appreciation of the fact that his stupid game plan put the game on a silver platter for the Dolphins to take. You know what might have been fun to watch? A game in which the explosive Los Angeles Charger passing attack took on a solid Miami team. We put our best foot forward and they put their best foot forward. I could live with that result from a coaching standpoint, but not with our laying down to get trampled heavy turtle anemic rushing attack offensive recipe to lose game plan.

And all of the above obvious failings of Lynn, examples that are far from being exhaustive and that have nothing to do with the players, the GM or ownership, are in addition to the record setting blown leads, the complete inability to win a game against a divisional opponent in the past two years (0-9 and counting), and the inability to win in one score games (3-16 since the beginning of the 2019 season with all 3 wins being the result of key opponent errors).

There really is a strong case to be made for the firing of Anthony Lynn.
        This post says it all. Outstanding.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yep. Good point.
          That play by Miami center should have gotten their O-line coach fired. Clearly that was coaching.
          And even if those mistakes even out.
          The two dropped interceptions by Perryman and Murray could have been difference makers.

I saw the Chargers get slightly outplayed.
          Not out coached. I thought it was a good match between the teams. I'm certainly tired of seeing them lose. But I'm not seeing quit or finger pointing. And I'm not seeing no chance to make plays that can win games. Its like that in all sports. Wide right is enough to lose a close game vs a great opponent. A throwing error keeping the inning alive in a close game. A dribble of your foot late in a tie game or a missed free throw. A slip in the grass trying to defend and then they are open for a score. I don't get upset at coaches in any sport for human error. I get upset when I don't see effort from the players, or when I don't see opportunity to make plays. Then I go after coaches and say damn it you need to bench these slackers and send a message. Or do they even know how to set up a team for play action. You have to run it, and stay committed so they buy it. There is no run threat at all, but you keep trying play action from shotgun and they aren't buying it at all. That is when I go after coaches and say can you do some more under center plays and actual run the damn ball, even if it's for 2 damn yards a pop, so you can actually get the play action open.

Anyways. I'm not giving up on Lynn until he is fired or the players give up on him.
          Nope, you are giving him a 3 year extension with a losing record while while not demanding he fire his friend and awful STs coach Stewart. Then trading the farm for a kicker.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Oh let me try one. I can nitpick coaches too.

Last season Reid getting roasted.

Trailing by a touchdown with 5:13 left in the game, Reid took his offense off the field on fourth-and-3 from the KC 40-yard-line and punted the ball back to the Packers. It would be the last time the Chiefs touched the football. Eleven plays later, the game was over. Green Bay 31, Kansas City 24.

Reid has been doing this head coaching thing for three decades now and is still making these mistakes. That has to give Chiefs fans an unsettling feeling going forward.

It’s not like this is a new development. Reid has had some high-profile gaffes throughout his career, including painfully long “two-minute” drills in playoff losses to the Patriots. Questionable challenges have been a problem throughout his career. The Chiefs have blown two leads of 18 points or more in the playoffs. There have only been four of those in the post-merger history of the NFL, and Reid has overseen half of them. And, oh yeah, Reid just made a mind-numbing mistake late in a loss to the Colts two weeks ago. Not good!

Instead of celebrating Andy Reid’s offensive genius on Sunday night, we were left making the same old jokes about his game management.

And another.
            Just the other week. Belicheat having issues.

​​​​​“Just bad coaching, really,” Belichick said earnestly. “I have to do a better job. Just not good coaching.”

“We had to use our timeouts because there were problems. I got to do a better job. We got to be able to play without using our timeouts.”

How about Tomlin.

No team’s struggles can be solely pinpointed on one man, obviously. But the fundamental issues that hamper the Steelers all circle back to Mike Tomlin.
            Consistently losing to sub-.500 teams is the clearest indicator of poor coaching there is. Altering the game plan, not practicing seriously enough – whatever Tomlin does in preparation for these games, it’s a failure. The scariest part is that Tomlin’s Steelers have been choking away these kinds of games for years now, yet it never improves.

Sunday's embarrassing defeat in Baltimore marks the third consecutive loss for the Steelers. While head coa...

There 28 HCs left to go. Anybody else want to play.

Bottom line business so I would think the clock starts ticking on Telesco and Lynn if it does not get turned around. I'm hopeful another year happens before any decision is made. I still want to think they have the right GM, HC, QB combo set up for the future and they do not need to do anything except maybe a decision on a defensive scheme switch. But who knows, maybe Spanos dumps them all at end of year.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nope, you are giving him a 3 year extension with a losing record while while not demanding he fire his friend and awful STs coach Stewart. Then trading the farm for a kicker.

If it ends up winning one damn Superbowl because Tucker had four 50 plus yard game winners through season of close games helping to secure the a playoff spot. And then another 50yd FG to advance in playoff and get the trophy...... would you hate me for it.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Bottom line business so I would think the clock starts ticking on Telesco and Lynn if it does not get turned around. I'm hopeful another year happens before any decision is made. I still want to think they have the right GM, HC, QB combo set up for the future and they do not need to do anything except maybe a decision on a defensive scheme switch. But who knows, maybe Spanos dumps them all at end of year.
                I agrree but I'll add this - they must get someone new in to coach the special teams
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

d
                  Oh let me try one. I can nitpick coaches too.

Last season Reid getting roasted.

Trailing by a touchdown with 5:13 left in the game, Reid took his offense off the field on fourth-and-3 from the KC 40-yard-line and punted the ball back to the Packers. It would be the last time the Chiefs touched the football. Eleven plays later, the game was over. Green Bay 31, Kansas City 24.

Reid has been doing this head coaching thing for three decades now and is still making these mistakes. That has to give Chiefs fans an unsettling feeling going forward.

It’s not like this is a new development. Reid has had some high-profile gaffes throughout his career, including painfully long “two-minute” drills in playoff losses to the Patriots. Questionable challenges have been a problem throughout his career. The Chiefs have blown two leads of 18 points or more in the playoffs. There have only been four of those in the post-merger history of the NFL, and Reid has overseen half of them. And, oh yeah, Reid just made a mind-numbing mistake late in a loss to the Colts two weeks ago. Not good!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/nfl...s-packers-punt

And another.
                  Just the other week. Belicheat having issues.

​​​​​“Just bad coaching, really,” Belichick said earnestly. “I have to do a better job. Just not good coaching.”

“We had to use our timeouts because there were problems. I got to do a better job. We got to be able to play without using our timeouts.”

How about Tomlin.

No team’s struggles can be solely pinpointed on one man, obviously. But the fundamental issues that hamper the Steelers all circle back to Mike Tomlin.
                  Consistently losing to sub-.500 teams is the clearest indicator of poor coaching there is. Altering the game plan, not practicing seriously enough – whatever Tomlin does in preparation for these games, it’s a failure. The scariest part is that Tomlin’s Steelers have been choking away these kinds of games for years now, yet it never improves.

https://stillcurtain.com/2016/11/08/...-and-solution/

There 28 HCs left to go. Anybody else want to play.

When those guys go two seasons with no division wins, you can compare them.

Thats not even mentioning their SB rings as HCs. And not counting cordinator jobs as you got ready to mention Lynns ring as a player.

Tomlin has never had a losing season in 13 ...well 14 years as he wont have one this year either.

Lynn has blown 5 leads of 17 or more THIS YEAR!

At the very least, can we get a new STs coach? Fire the worthless friend whom he has labeled the asst HC for cris sakes.

Im ALL for firing Telesco as well though he hasnt been giving full reign. Fire everyone if we go 3-13.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am not evaluating Lynn in a vacuum. I am identifying things for which Lynn is unquestionably responsible. There is no mystery here at all.

Lynn is responsible for not starting Herbert on day 1. And worse than that, absent Taylor's punctured lung incident, there is no evidence that Lynn would have started Herbert at all this season. Herbert is the future of the franchise and from day 1 was 10 times better than Taylor. There is no way that a head coach should be permitted to make mistakes of that magnitude with the player that has been chosen to be the future of the franchise.

Under Lynn, we would have continued with that piece of crap offense we showed against the Bengals and not the great offense that has emerged even in the face of Lynn's horrible game plans and in game decisions. That reality alone is more than enough for me to fire Lynn.

But if you want in game tactical errors, there is no shortage of those.

Tampa Bay--When you are at your own 6 yard line with 47 seconds left in the half and the other team cannot prevent you from kneeling on the ball to end the first half, you end the half. Instead, we decide to go into Joe Pisarcik mode. Only Anthony Lynn does that. The expected points of that starting field position are negative. Yes, the players failed to execute, but more importantly, they never should have been placed in that position.

Jacksonville--And to prove that "you can't fix stupid", after having failed to kneel from his own 6 yard line, Lynn decided to go full turtle instead of taking the free Hail Mary from his own 40 against Jacksonville at the end of the first half of that game, kneeling instead. So, you are going to run plays from the 6 yard line, but kneel at the 40 yard line. Okay....

Las Vegas--The misuse of timeouts by Lynn likely cost the team the game against Las Vegas. First, Lynn failed to call timeout to get Herbert back into the game on the critical 4th quarter potentially game tying 2 point conversion.

Then, Lynn failed to call timeout on the final possession, waiting for a booth review to happen. Naturally, an immediate timeout call would have given the booth any time it might have needed to initiate any booth review and would have kept an additional 20+ seconds on the clock.

This failure cost the team two plays on the final goal to go series. The team likely would have won the game but for Lynn's strategic mistakes. I certainly would have liked our chances with Herbert having two more chances to throw the game winning TD pass (or one more chance and a tying FG attempt had Lynn called the earlier timeout and Herbert had converted the 2 point conversion).

Good NFL head coaches simply do not make these kinds of obvious in game tactical errors.

But the real, deeply rooted disease that is Anthony Lynn manifests itself as follows:

New Orleans--With a 20-3 lead and 2:30 left in the first half, the team had the ball at its own 18 yard line. New Orleans had multiple timeouts left. Unlike the case with 47 seconds left, this is a case in which the lead could be extended and in which there is enough time remaining for the Saints to do something if they get the ball back quickly. So, the best strategy here is to try to extend the lead, but also, and at a minimum, be sure that the remaining time is used.

And here is where Lynn does not get it. The best way to burn the clock is not by blindly running the ball because that will likely lead to a punt after New Orleans expends timeouts with very little time coming off of the clock. Instead, the focus should be on getting first downs. What is the best way for the team to get first downs? Well, how was the team getting most of its yardage? Herbert had already thrown for 3 TD passes in the first half and was carving the Saints up, so the answer was obvious. The team needed to use the passing attack at least to control the ball, but also possibly to score.

But with Lynn's approach, we ran twice, got -2 yards and were put in third and long, a known passing situation, which the Saints were able to defend.

Denver--And this game is further proof that Lynn does not get it. On three possessions in a row in which we had the ball late in Denver territory, we went run heavy, and were quickly forced into third and long known passing situations. The result was an INT and two FGs instead of possibly up to 3 TDs. Lynn seems to equate running the ball with killing the clock, but that only works if the team is getting first downs by running the ball. If the team does not run effectively, but does pass effectively, then the team actually ends up burning less clock because it is killing drives instead of extending them with additional first downs. And the team is potentially losing out on points. Further, the failed early down running plays put the passing game in the worst position possible, a known passing situation, which makes the passing game less effective also.

Miami--This game is conclusive proof that Lynn does not get it. Evidently not recognizing his huge role in costing the team the New Orleans and Denver games with his turtle conservative approach, Lynn decided it would be appropriate to spend almost the entire game going run heavy on early downs, repeatedly putting the team in known passing situations and setting up Miami for its best results.

Since the game, Lynn has been utterly oblivious to the impact of his iditoic coaching. Cameron Buford even gently pointed it out to Lynn in the postgame press conference when he noted that Lynn's strategy took the ball out of the hands of the team's most explosive offensive player (Herbert), and Lynn still didn't get it. How any NFL head coach could fail to understand that is mind boggling.

Instead, Lynn has focused on how Miami is a good team that outplayed his team. Miami may be a fine team, but there is absolutely no appreciation of the fact that his stupid game plan put the game on a silver platter for the Dolphins to take. You know what might have been fun to watch? A game in which the explosive Los Angeles Charger passing attack took on a solid Miami team. We put our best foot forward and they put their best foot forward. I could live with that result from a coaching standpoint, but not with our laying down to get trampled heavy turtle anemic rushing attack offensive recipe to lose game plan.

And all of the above obvious failings of Lynn, examples that are far from being exhaustive and that have nothing to do with the players, the GM or ownership, are in addition to the record setting blown leads, the complete inability to win a game against a divisional opponent in the past two years (0-9 and counting), and the inability to win in one score games (3-16 since the beginning of the 2019 season with all 3 wins being the result of key opponent errors).

There really is a strong case to be made for the firing of Anthony Lynn.
                    I am curious of the posters blaming Lynn for not starting Herbert earlier.. This argument makes no sense to me since the overall consensus I got from many analyst was that Herbert was not as ready to start as the other two QBs taken ahead of him. Many posters did not even like the pick. How is it now that Lynn should have known to start Herbert from the very start?? And who knows how much better Tyrod would have played if not sustaining cracked ribs early on in that first game while playing in this revamped offense that plays more to his strengths. The Shannahan offense is known to be user friendly for QB possessing the right skill set to run it. Out of all the arguments against Lynn, that is one of the more puzzling to me.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      d

When those guys go two seasons with no division wins, you can compare them.

Thats not even mentioning their SB rings as HCs. And not counting cordinator jobs as you got ready to mention Lynns ring as a player.

Tomlin has never had a losing season in 13 ...well 14 years as he wont have one this year either.

Lynn has blown 5 leads of 17 or more THIS YEAR!

At the very least, can we get a new STs coach? Fire the worthless friend whom he has labeled the asst HC for cris sakes.

Im ALL for firing Telesco as well though he hasnt been giving full reign. Fire everyone if we go 3-13.
                      I was just showing how even the best coaches can get roasted for decisions.

I have no argument with how you feel or why. I just have a different opinion of Lynn than most.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

anybody else on the horizon that might give you hope.... ??
                        Start with Pep for the rest of the season and then work with possible Mcdaniels and a couple others mentioned on the forum like Harbaugh if he interviews well. The spanos are so afraid to pay that they doom themselves to mediocrity. It sort of like "We've had so many failures that what's going to make a difference if we hire a good coach? " They're gun-shy for the wrong reasons. Start with real competency and don't worry about a bad season here and there....Sometimes you can't control an 8-8 season but man with this crew of Bradly and stewart we aint going anywhere soon. Bradly smiles at press conferences because he knows he's a dummy.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Start with Pep for the rest of the season and then work with possible Mcdaniels and a couple others mentioned on the forum like Harbaugh if he interviews well. The spanos are so afraid to pay that they doom themselves to mediocrity. It sort of like "We've had so many failures that what's going to make a difference if we hire a good coach? " They're gun-shy for the wrong reasons. Start with real competency and don't worry about a bad season here and there....Sometimes you can't control an 8-8 season but man with this crew of Bradly and stewart we aint going anywhere soon. Bradly smiles at press conferences because he knows he's a dummy.
                          If John Boy thinks he knows what he is doing which, would be his stupidity then Harbaugh is not going to get along with the front office thinking and he won't last long here.
                          Hec he might see it in the interview and decline the job or decline interview #2.

Harbaugh with John Boy having say in players, drafting and other things won't be a good fit with him, me don't think.
                          It sux that Telesco has to put up with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍