• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    We won won a couple of very close games without MG III. I wouldn't count on that continuing.
    I would:

D will be better, and it was already awesome.

The young RBs will be better, cuz year two.

OL will be better, cuz another year under their belts plus Lamp.

Gordon who? (You heard it here first, and I'm a big Gordon fan cuz of how he played last year.)

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Ekeler was 5-7.5 and 195 lbs coming into the league. There are plenty of examples of running backs his size being successful feature backs in the NFL Does anyone remember a guy named Barry Sanders?

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
        Ekeler was 5-7.5 and 195 lbs coming into the league. There are plenty of examples of running backs his size being successful feature backs in the NFL Does anyone remember a guy named Barry Sanders?
        Ekeler is not Barry Sanders and he's not LT. Any of you thinking that the Ek, JJ, Detrez combo will be good enough are hoping. And as Red says in Shawshank, Hope is a dangerous thing.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Ekeler is not Barry Sanders and he's not LT. Any of you thinking that the Ek, JJ, Detrez combo will be good enough are hoping. And as Red says in Shawshank, Hope is a dangerous thing.
          Nobody said Ekeler is Barry Sanders. The point was made that running backs of Ekeler's size can and have been successful feature backs in the NFL.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Nobody said Ekeler is Barry Sanders. The point was made that running backs of Ekeler's size can and have been successful feature backs in the NFL.
            Yes but Ekeler is not one of them

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Our running game was fine w/o MG last year, it will be fine + this year w/o him. With him, yes it would be even better but the cost is too high and ultimately not needed.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Yes but Ekeler is not one of them
                You don't know that, do you? Ekeler has only been in the league 2 years and has only been used as a complimentary back. He's never had the opportunity to prove himself as a feature back. But his yards-per-carry and yards per target in the passing game both exceeded Gordon's last season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

I subscribe to the theory that running backs aren't that special, unless they possess rare and unusual talent such as Ladanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, or Ezekiel Elliott. Melvin Gordon is not on that level. Running back is the one position where there is a plethora of talent that can be found at all levels of the draft and among undrafted rookies. It is the most punishing position in football, no question. Running back careers are generally short. It's always a good idea to get as young as you can at that position, IMO. I also subscribe to the theory that in this era of the NFL having a platoon of solid running backs is better than on one star player at that position. The Patriots success in winning three of the last five Super Bowls backs this up, IMO. The Eagles won the Superbowl with a stable of solid running backs without a single stand out back among them. I am pretty confident that a platoon of Ekeler, Justin Jackson, and Detrez Newsome, and possibly Jeremy Cox, could provide the same yards gained production at the running back position. The only caveat I have for this is Gordon's 14 touchdowns. That may not be as easy to replace. But I don't think he is worth near his asking price when we have so many talented players who are going to need to be paid in the near future to keep the Super Bowl window open.
                  Well first off we don't know what his asking price is. We are assuming it's in the 13 mil range which id pass on.

I expect nothing from Cox this season. He isn't very ellusive, just fast. Gordon is a better player than all of our other RBs, it's just a matter of what the team feels comfortable with but I agree with Topcat. Cave to Gordon, next up is Mike Williams wanting an extension and maybe Keenan.

Just depends on how important they feel Gordon is. If he asks for over 10 per season, I'd trade him. Hate to lose him but we got others more important I'd rather keep.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    The Chargers were unbeaten when MG rush for +100 yards last year.
                    But it happened only 3 times.
                    In the 9 others games he played, they are 5-4 !
                    The 4 games he didn't play, LAC are 4-0 !!!!!
                    That's not really the ideal stat for negotiate a new contract.
                    Pretty sure we averaged under 4 ypc in those games as well. That stat being 4-0 without him will have no bearing on their decision. We won without Perryman too but they resigned him and we all know he makes us better.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well first off we don't know what his asking price is. We are assuming it's in the 13 mil range which id pass on.

I expect nothing from Cox this season. He isn't very ellusive, just fast. Gordon is a better player than all of our other RBs, it's just a matter of what the team feels comfortable with but I agree with Topcat. Cave to Gordon, next up is Mike Williams wanting an extension and maybe Keenan.

Just depends on how important they feel Gordon is. If he asks for over 10 per season, I'd trade him. Hate to lose him but we got others more important I'd rather keep.
                      Speed and size has its uses in a running back. Jeremy Cox probably can be successful in a limited role in specific situations, as long as he is not asked to do too much.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Ekeler is not a replacement for MG III. That's laughable. As a starter he'll get buried and don't @ me with that pound for pound b.s. He is probably better in space and making guys miss but we don't seem to have much of that. MG III is a better power runner by far.

JJ is unproven and for sure has not developed into the receiver that MG III is. He is a good stop gap and development RB but not a bell cow.

If Coryell was designing the offense I'd have less concerns but Lynn wants a balanced attack and wants to be able to pound the ball. Rivers isn't getting any younger and the idea of depending on him doesn't sit well with me. He needs the balance which is why Lynn has been successful in emphasizing it.

We won won a couple of very close games without MG III. I wouldn't count on that continuing.
                        As an example, vs PIT. last year
                        We were very, very fortunate to win this one.
                        It decided who got in the tournament.
                        We really needed MG.
                        Austin got stuffed.
                        The winning point is that
                        Ekeler is such a perfect COP w/Melvin.
                        Here's our SB shot...right now.
                        TT, don't Weddle Gordon.
                        Talk to Fletcher.
                        Melvin, tell Fletcher to get this done, and soon.
                        And I would expect Gordon to completely go off
                        with any semblance of decent Oline play in'19.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

There are always are exceptions but there aren't a lot of them. Most that size have been injured often when tryijgtto be the guy. McCaffrey was durable last season but that can catch up with him any time now.

Freeman was hurt alot last season after two years of more of a feature RB. In 2017 his ypc fell a lot too from 4.8 to 4.0.
                          Can Ekeker do it for a year? Maybe but he excels in the role he has now.
                          Just trade Gordon for Chris Carson and swap picks, or give a lower round pick or something. They can swing something but trades don't seem to be TT's forte.

Comment

Working...
                          X