Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
    Sorry, but I cannot get on board with what I perceive as some pretty ridiculous overreactions to Burrow in this thread tonight. IMO, some of you guys simply are not projecting Burrow accurately at the next level.

Thinking that Burrow is going to be the next Elway, or even Andrew Luck, names mentioned in this thread tonight, to me seems like some pretty questionable takes. Elway was supremely physcially gifted, blessed with an absolute cannon of an arm and the ability to run. Luck also had a strong arm and was an above average runner in terms of both strength and speed for a QB. Equally questionable is the notion that somehow it would be Burrow making the Saints or Patriots contenders forever because of what Burrow brings to the table versus what Payton or Belichick, two of the best head coaches in NFL history, bring to the table.

Burrow may turn out to be a fine NFL player, but he is not going to be able to constantly float balls to wide open receivers like he has for much of this season with LSU. The windows will be much tighter and his lack of arm strength, which is fairly obvious, is going to be exposed at least to some degree. Coaches can scheme against a QB's weaknesses as the Titans just did against Lamar Jackson. And worse yet, Burrow does not exactly appear to have a quick release to offset his less than great arm strength (see Rivers, Philip).

I like Burrow's ability to work through progressions and he has some ability to extend plays, so that may help him to offset his lack of arm strength, but in my view, not only is Burrow not the greatest thing since sliced bread, he presents as a pretty substantial bust potential at the next level in terms of carrying the expected value of a #1 overall pick. That does not mean that he will not be able to compete in the NFL, just that there is a very real possibility that his NFL career will be nothing at all like what some of you seem to think it is going to be. He may end up being one of those players that is a great college QB, but not a great NFL QB. And that is just way too much risk for a player to be worthy of the #1 overall pick.

And to be clear, I am not talking about the kind of risk that every NFL draft pick carries. In my view, a player being discussed as a top 5 and potential #1 overall pick needs to be an elite player that is a virtual lock to be a great player at the NFL level. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the fact that Burrow can't spin it, makes him a greater risk than what would be ideal for an early first round pick.

Not only would I not trade 3 first round picks (or more) for Burrow, I would not select Burrow if I had the first pick overall and I would not draft him at #6 overall either. That said, I can see how a desperate Bengals team would be willing to roll the dice and hope that Burrow could overcome his limitations, especially as Dalton appears to have fallen out of favor with their current coaches.

Still, the reality is that Dwayne Haskins beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio State, which is why Burrow had to transfer to LSU in the first place. And if Washington took Burrow with the #2 overall pick in this year's draft (which is unlikely), Haskins would likely beat Burrow out all over again.

Also, my expectation is that Lawrence, if given an equal team with which to compete (which he clearly did not have tonight), is and always will be better than Burrow.

In terms of the 2020 draft, I do not want the Chargers to take a QB at all because none of them are as good as Rivers still is. However, if the Chargers do take a QB with the #6 overall pick, I would rather have Herbert than either Burrow or Tagovailoa, though I do not love any of the three as safe franchise QB prospects.
    And you were also calling Mahomes a one year wonder all last season. How’s that working out for you?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I didn’t say there weren’t dropped passes. Just that several of them, especially early, were behind receivers.
      The first two drives were stalled because receivers puckered and choked on perfectly thrown balls. Kelsey was the first, a WR was the second. Both balls were perfectly thrown and just flat dropped. Now 2 days later, i can’t remember the 3rd drive - I want to say it also stalled due to a drop but apologies for bad memory, thats just a guess now. no announcer said he threw bad passes in the first two drives so I’m not sure when this “early” commentating you heard occurred. No worries ...
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

I think Burrow is the real deal. Look at his completion percentage. This young man is very accurate. Not a strong enough arm? Where did that come from?

However, I wouldn't trade away the next 3 years of our future on him. ( or anyone else). Keep your picks and draft well, keep Rivers . and pay Bosa. Too often teams release good players because they think he's getting too old (Eric Weddle comes to mind). I hope we don't make that mistake with PR.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• pacstud
          Black Belt Poster
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post

I agree that gross stats are not the be all and end all, but it seems run game effectiveness (not just total yds) and balance in the offense is more than a by-product of winning, but a common denominator of many successful offenses.

Or would your opinion be its just a classic chicken/egg argument then? Or not even that?
          ​​​
          Chicken egg. I like balance. I like playing to strengths. I like taking what the defense is giving. Overall though, there are some teams with bad records that run the ball very well and good record teams that run the ball poorly.

Overall, if you're winning games you can run more, hence building up better run stats.

Comment

• pacstud
            Black Belt Poster
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I can't wrap my head around this.
            Bag interference?

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Wow. Just wow. Burrows just put up the best season ever by a college QB and won the national championship game while shredding the best defense in all of college and you have concerns about him as a QB? He was also only 3 completions away from breaking the highest completion percentage of all time.

The poster is leaving out a very important part of the story. And kind of making stuff up there with the conclusions. What happened at OSU. Burrow broke his right hand.

Haskins won because Burrow was injured.

we just don't know how things transpire if Burrow was healthy.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate...ransfer-to-lsu
              Last edited by Critty; 01-14-2020, 08:12 AM.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Many thought Cincinnati was the favorite to land coveted Ohio State QB transfer Joe Burrow. Then a 48-hour trip to Baton Rouge turned the tables for LSU.

they seem very very excited back in 2018 when they landed the transfer.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Looking back to his transfer and article from spring 2018.....Burrow being very good was not out of the blue and shocking. These article point out that he could be very good. Maybe they did not expect historic numbers. but they loved the talent he brought to LSU.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...state-transfer

Burrow was an attractive transfer for three reasons: his talent, his remaining eligibility, and that he’d already graduated from Ohio State by the season. That made him a rarity: an immediately eligible transfer with two seasons left to play

For more than a year, Burrow has been locked in a competition with Dwayne Haskins to be the heir-apparent to J.T. Barrett as the Buckeyes’ starting quarterback. Following the spring game in April 2017, Burrow appeared to have the lead over then-redshirt freshman Haskins. However, an injury less than a week before the start of the season stunted his progress, and Haskins thrived in the back-up role, especially against Michigan. He could be really effective for the Tigers.
                  Burrow has all the tools, even though it was in his best interest to move on from Columbus. Tigers blog And The Valley Shook wrote after his transfer:

Physically, I don’t see limitations. He’s athletic as hell and can extend plays regularly. He’s got a damn strong arm and even shows some serious touch on a lot of his throws. He can complete deep outs. He’s strong and tough. He won Ohio Mr. Football. He was first-team all-state in high school. He turned in the best spring game performance of any of the Ohio State QBs.

Last edited by Critty; 01-14-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• pacstud
                    Black Belt Poster
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Why are we talking about Burrow?

He's off the board, and it's laughable to think otherwise.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Burrow has not been picked yet.
                      Until the Bengals actual stay put and pick him.
                      There is an ridiculous imaginary dream of a super slim chance Telesco finds out what they Bengals YES point is for a trade of #1 overall.
                      And pays the price to make the deal happen.

Comment

• pacstud
                        Black Belt Poster
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

There is a 0% chance for a trade. And yet people will say Telesco needs to "do what it takes".

The Bengals have taken Burrow. It'd be best if the fans join all the GMs who already realize this.

Surely I don't need to post a .gif of Dumb and Dumber with "so you're telling me there's a chance?"

Comment

• captaind
                          Cook This Pork Chops
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Mars
                          • Ball Holder
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
                          Why are we talking about Burrow?

He's off the board, and it's laughable to think otherwise.
                          Agreed. Even though he may not fancy himself in orange lip gloss, he’s as good as gone at #1.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍